The California State Fair Championship (SFC) is an elite amateur golf event attracting both International and USA players with an average index of +2.5 for the 108-player field. Most of the field is made up of “Exempt Players” based on WAGR ranking, Junior Tour Rankings or performance in Competitive Events. Any player meeting one of the Exemption Criteria listed below is eligible to register for the Championship. Players may also qualify for the Championship through one of two local Qualifying Championships, finish in the top 10% of any 2023 US Amateur Qualifier, or apply for a Merit Exemption (see specific Qualifying and Merit Exemption sections below for additional information).
All players, exempt and non-exempt, must register for the tournament through the SFC Online Registration Page. The Championship fills up quickly and is filled on a first come, first serve basis. Meeting tournament entry qualification, either as an exempt or non-exempt player, does NOT guarantee entry into the tournament.
Amateurs who meet one or more of the following exemption criteria may register for the Championship.
• Top 3000 on the WAGR – World Amateur Golf Ranking (as of date of entry)
Exempt Players based on Junior Tours
• 2023 AJGA Top 50 Points List (at time of entry)
• 2023 JGANC top 2 Points List (at time of entry)
• 2023 JTNC top 2 Points List (at time of entry)
• 2023 First Tee of Greater Sacramento junior tour player of the year as of August 1, 2023
Exempt Players based on Sacramento Competitive Events
• State Fair Men’s Championship: Top 36 in 2022
• Memorial Amateur: Top 20 in 2023
• Sacramento County Men’s Championship: Top 10 in 2023
• Sacramento City Men’s Championship: Top 10 in 2023
• State Fair Junior: 2023 Champion
• State Fair Mid-Amateur: 2023 Champion
Players who are not exempt can qualify to register for the State Fair Championship by any one of the following:
- Sacramento City Championship, MacKenzie Course, Haggin Oaks GC, June 10-11 – finish in the top 20. Register at sacgolfcouncil.org/tournaments/sacramento-city-mens-championship/
- Sacramento County Championship, Ancil Hoffman GC, July 15-16 – finish in the top 20. Register at sacgolfcouncil.org/tournaments/sacramento-county-mens-amateur-championship/
- Finish in the top 10% of any U.S. Amateur Qualifier in 2023
For those players wanting to qualify:
- The player must pay a $25 qualifying sign-up fee before the first round of the qualifying tournament. Players opting to use the Sac City Men’s Am or Sac County Men’s Am, can simply add $25 the the entry fee when they register for these tournament.
- For those who attempt to qualify via a U.S. Amateur Qualifying tournament, click here to pay the $25 fee.
Players who do not meet one of the exemption criteria and who do not qualify are welcome to submit an application for invitation. Please include your recent golfing resume and any other information to support your entry into the SFC. The Tournament Committee will review the golfing resumes, and in the first week of August, announce the names of players for the tournament. Once a Merit Player is accepted into the tournament, he must register and pay within 5 days to confirm his place in the SFC.