The California State Fair Championship (SFC) is an amateur golf event attracting the best players in the west with an average index of +2.5 for the 156 player field. Most of the field is made up of “Exempt Players”. Any player meeting one of the Exemption Criteria listed below is eligible to register for the Championship. Players may also qualify for the Championship through one of 3 Qualifying Championships listed below, or apply for a Merit Exemption.
All players, exempt and non-exempt, must register for the tournament through the SFC Online Registration Page. The Championship fills up quickly and is filled on a first come, first serve basis. Meeting tournament entry qualification, either as an exempt or non-exempt player, does NOT guarantee entry into the tournament.
Amateurs who meet one or more of the following categories are exempt from qualifying:
• Top 500 on the WAGR – World Amateur Golf Ranking (as of date of entry)
• Top 500 on the SPWAR – Scratch Players World Amateur Ranking (as of date of entry)
• Top 100 on 2019-20 or 2020-21 Golfstat Collegiate D1 final ranking
• Top 25 on 2019-20 or 2020-21 Golfstat Collegiate D2 final ranking
• Top 10 on 2019-20 or 2020-21 Golfstat Collegiate D3 final ranking
• Top 10 on 2019-20 or 2020-21 Golfstat Collegiate NAIA final ranking
• Top 50 on Boys AJGA (at time of entry)
• 2021 JGANC top 2 Points List (at time of entry)
• 2021 JTNC top 2 Points List (at time of entry)
• 2021 First Tee of Greater Sacramento top 2 Points List (at time of entry)
Sacramento Competitive Event Exemptions
• State Fair Men’s Championship: Top 30 in 2020 or 2019
• Memorial Amateur: Top 10 in 2021 or 2020
• State Fair Junior: 2021 Champion
• State Fair Mid-Amateur: 2021 Champion & Runner-up
• Sacramento County Men’s Championship: Top 10 in 2021
• Sacramento City Men’s Championship: Top 10 in 2021
Players who are not exempt can qualify to register for the State Fair Championship by finishing in the Top 30% (of finishers) in the following tournaments:
- Any U.S. Amateur qualifier (a complete list is available at champs.usga.org)
- Sacramento City Championship, MacKenzie Course, Haggin Oaks GC, June 5-6. Register at www.sacgolfcouncil.org
- Sacramento County Championship, Ancil Hoffman GC, July 24-25. Register at www.sacgolfcouncil.org
For those players wanting to qualify at either the Sacramento City or Sacramento County Championships:
- The player must pay a $25.00 sign-up fee before the first round of the tournament
- Successful qualifiers can then register for the SFC
- Successful qualifiers will pay the remaining balance of the $295 entry fee, which is $270.
Please note: If you qualify for the SFC, you are NOT guaranteed entry into the tournament. You MUST still register. It is strongly recommended to register immediately as the tournament fills quickly and your spot will not be held.
Players who do not meet one of the exemption criteria and who do not qualify are welcome to submit an application for invitation.