The California State Fair Championship (SFC) is an elite amateur golf event attracting both International and USA players with an average index of +2.5 for the 108 player field. Most of the field is made up of “Exempt Players” based on WAGR or SPWAR rankings, Junior Tour Rankings or performance in Competitive Events. Any player meeting one of the Exemption Criteria listed below is eligible to register for the Championship. Players may also qualify for the Championship through one of 2 Qualifying Championships listed below, or apply for a Merit Exemption.
All players, exempt and non-exempt, must register for the tournament through the SFC Online Registration Page. The Championship fills up quickly and is filled on a first come, first serve basis. Meeting tournament entry qualification, either as an exempt or non-exempt player, does NOT guarantee entry into the tournament.
Amateurs who meet one or more of the following exemption criteria may register for the Championship.
Exempt Players based on Junior Tours
• 2022 AJGA Top 50 Points List (at time of entry)
• 2022 JGANC top 2 Points List (at time of entry)
• 2022 JTNC top 2 Points List (at time of entry)
• 2022 First Tee of Greater Sacramento top 2 Points List (at time of entry)
Exempt Players based on Sacramento Competitive Events
• State Fair Men’s Championship: Top 30 in 2021
• Memorial Amateur: Top 20 in 2022
• Sacramento County Men’s Championship: Top 10 in 2022
• Sacramento City Men’s Championship: Top 10 in 2022
• State Fair Junior: 2022 Champion
• State Fair Mid-Amateur: 2022 Champion
Players who are not exempt can qualify to register for the State Fair Championship by finishing in the Top 20 in the following tournaments:
- Sacramento City Championship, MacKenzie Course, Haggin Oaks GC, June 11-12. Register at sacgolfcouncil.org/tournaments/sacramento-city-mens-championship/
- Sacramento County Championship, Ancil Hoffman GC, July 23-24. Register at sacgolfcouncil.org/tournaments/sacramento-county-mens-amateur-championship/
For those players wanting to qualify at either the Sacramento City or Sacramento County Championships:
- The player must pay a $25.00 sign-up fee before the first round of the tournament
- Successful qualifiers can then register for the SFC
- Each successful qualifier must register and pay within 5 days to confirm his place in the SFC.
Players who do not meet one of the exemption criteria and who do not qualify are welcome to submit an application for invitation. Please include your recent golfing resume and any other information to support your entry into the SFC. The Tournament Committee will review the golfing resumes, and in the first week of August, announce the names of players for the tournament. Once a Merit Player is accepted into the tournament, he must register and pay within 5 days to confirm his place in the SFC.