The California State Fair Men’s Championship (SFC) is primarily an exempt player event for 156 tournament scratch amateur golfers. 84 of the 156 spots are reserved for players meeting the exemption criteria as stipulated below. Non-exempt amateurs are eligible to qualify via the Sacramento City or County Championships or through the U.S. Amateur qualifying. See qualifying details below.
Amateurs who meet one or more of the following categories are exempt from qualifying:
Sacramento Golf Council Tournament Exemptions
• State Fair Men’s Championship: Top 30 in 2017, Top 10 in 2016, Top 5 in 2015, 2nd in 2014 & 2013, Champion since 2012
• State Fair Junior: 2018 and 2017 Champion
• State Fair Masters: 2017 Champion
• Sacramento County Men’s Championship: Top 10 in 2018, Top 3 in 2017 or 2016
• Sacramento City Men’s Championship: Top 10 in 2018, Top 3 in 2017 or 2016
Amateur Ranking & Distinction Exemptions
• Top 500 on the Scratch Players World Amateur Ranking (as of date of entry)
• Member of a Walker Cup and Top 10 World Amateur Team since 2012
• Any male exempt from qualifying for any 2017 or 2016 USGA Championship
• 2018 or 2017 U.S. or British Open contestants
Collegiate Ranking & Distinction Exemptions
• Top 100 on 2017-18 Golfstat Collegiate D1 final ranking
• Top 25 on 2017-18 Golfstat Collegiate D2 final ranking
• Top 10 on 2017-18 Golfstat Collegiate D3 final ranking
• Top 10 on 2017-18 Golfstat Collegiate NAIA final ranking
• 2018 NCAA Division I All-Americans (First, Second, Third Team, or Honorable Mention, and all named to All-Region teams)
• 2018 NCAA Division II All-Americans (First or Second Team)
• 2018 NCAA Division III or NAIA All-Americans (First Team)
Junior Ranking & Distinction Exemptions
• 2018 AJGA All-Americans (First or Second Team)
• Top 20 on Boys AJGA or Junior scoreboard (at time of entry)
• 2018 First Tee of Greater Sacramento Junior Tour Low Stroke Average (at time of entry)
• Tournament Committee Merit Exemption (for other “Scratch Players of note”)
Non-exempt entrants seeking to qualify for the State Fair Championship can enter U.S. Amateur qualifying venues across the United States and finish in the top 30% of the field (20 spots maximum) or in one of the following tournaments:
- Sacramento City Championship, MacKenzie Course at Haggin Oaks, June 16-17, top 40 qualify.
- Sacramento County Championship, Ancil Hoffman GC, July 14-15, top 40 qualify.
Those finishing in the top 30% of the field in U.S. Amateur qualifying may submit an entry, but entries must be verified before accepted.
Those attempting to qualify for the SFC at either the Sacramento City or Sacramento County Championship must pay a $25.00 fee during registration prior to the 1st round of the tournament. Successful SFC qualifiers must forward entry fee balance due ($225) two weeks after their qualifier.
Alternates are, first, excess exempt entries (after first 84) prior to the entry deadline, then players failing to qualify by one stroke and so on. Alternate priority in the SFC will otherwise be determined based on the alternate’s tournament track record. The Tournament Committee decisions on SFC alternate selections are final.